Known to our museum volunteers as "the Tool Car" for many years, our Baltimore & Ohio baggage car was one of the first pieces of full-size railroad equipment acquired by the Rochester Chapter.
Baltimore & Ohio baggage car #633 was built by Bethlehem Car Co. in 1925 and was used in revenue service through the 1960s. The car measures has an inside length of 70 feet, and is a B&O class B8-b car with a capacity of 50,000 lbs. (25 tons). Removed from passenger trains and used in company service, the car was sold to Chris Kingsley in 1971. His plans to covert the car into a private residence fell through, and the car was donated to the Rochester Chapter in 1977. Since our future museum site at Industry was not prepared to accept the car, it was stored at General Railway Signal in Rochester and in 1978 was moved to Pfaudler in 1978. In 1979, the car was moved to Henrietta, and finally to Industry Depot on August 15, 1981.
The car was moved to Track 1 at Industry and was outfitted as our tool and workshop car. The cramped quarters house a variety of tools and workbench space for a variety of departments to use. Until we constructed the Restoration Building in 1996, we had no other workshop space under cover.
On December 6, 2008, the car was moved for the first time in 27 years to its new home on the newly constructed siding on the west side of the LA&L mainline.
One of our long-term goals has been to restore the car to its early dark blue and gray "Royal Blue" paint scheme.
Look for B&O #633 to serve our museum fathfully in the future as it has in the past!
- Builder:Bethlehem Car Co.
- Cap’y:50,000 lbs. (25 tons)
- Acquired: 1977